Wednesday, June 20, 2018

ON RACE

Over the years, I've thought about this subject but was never able to *understand* it as much as I now do from reading this article. I tried to imagine my own reactions were I *anything* racial & couldn't conceive of how I would handle it. 

Some people say they are "color blind" to which I say "bullshit" -- unless they are actually blind. They miss the point entirely. It's not a matter of ignoring the obvious as it is that the obvious doesn't make any difference. 

Malcolm X, for whom I had a lot of respect, used to preach that "integration" was a feel-good white middle class word that was meaningless. He offered many real life examples to defend his position. Race, he said, will change only with "mongrelization" (his word) otherwise known as intermarriage. 

We are seeing that come true in the United States. The more intermarriage between races, the less race bias there is but a minority don't agree. Who's the minority now? ;-)

One way or another, most of us ARE mutts & we all know how smart & resilient mutts are.

No comments:

Post a Comment