Friday, August 31, 2012

Ruminating after the RNC


I watched all coverage, speeches & commentary on MSNBC, starting at 7pm every night of the three nights of the convention culminating with Mitt Romney's speech last night. 

New to me was the sense that -- FINALLY --  there was a great crop of young and varied potential GOP leaders on the horizon &, IMO, this is a good thing for the party. I thought the women were especially impressive; women like Condolezza Rice, Nikki Haley & Mia Love. But the guys -- Jeb Bush, Marco Rubio & Paul Ryan -- were nothing to sneeze at either. 

Putting the political red meat aside, my take away was that (except for Clint Eastwood) the convention was very well orchestrated & inspirational but there were few (if any) details about what's going to change going forward. Having said that, I don't think any convention is meant for wonkiness or policy details so what are we really left with? 

Hope & change? :-)

This personal evaluation doesn't automatically put me in anyone's political column but I think this showing of young turks is important because I, for one, am tired of hearing from the same old white guys on both sides of the aisle. 

Obama was the first to offer a real choice in that department which is why I think he won the election in '08. I don't yet know about '12 but I think new people with new ideas & new energy is what we need in BOTH parties so the thinking electorate can have a real choice. 

This is such an election & I am looking forward to the debates for a change. 

Going forward, I will be watching an equal amount of coverage & commentary of the DNC on the Fox News Channel and expect a similar takeaway but we'll see. 

I'll update this blog entry at the end of next week. 

I think independents are more likely to be swayed one way or the other after the debates. 

I'd be interested in your takeaway which is why there is a comment box below. Post as anonymous if you must. 

No comments:

Post a Comment